FSU Neuroscience Involvement & Outreach
Outreach and Education
The North Florida Neuroscience Group re-activated its chapter in 2004. Since then, the Program in Neuroscience at FSU has developed several neuroscience community outreach activities. The Outreach and Education Sub-Committe (OES) at FSU was established to engage in public outreach activities including the annual Brain Awareness Week, North Florida Brain Bee, and various Student Research Mentoring Programs.
CNEC's mission is to enhance local community knowledge about brain research with a direct goal of promoting public neuroscience education in K-12 students. To this end, CNEC is committed to both academic and civic responsibility through three primary aims:
- Educate local and statewide K-12 students about the importance of brain research.
- Encourage K-12 educators to incorporate neuroscience curriculum into their classroom.
- Train and inspire talented high school/college students to pursue Neuroscience-related careers.
Current OES committee members:
Outreach Events in the Big Bend
- Brain Fair
late spring 2014 - date TBA
- Brain Awareness Week
Sep/Nov 2013 - High School Visits March 10-16, 2014 - Offical Dates
- North Florida Brain Bee
Jan 17 2014 - North Florida Brain Bee TBA - National Brain Bee in Baltimore, MA Aug 7-10 2014 - International Brain Bee Championship in Washington, D.C.
In additional to using small fund raisers and campus bake sales to help pay for their activities, NGSA’s Community Education Committee could use your help to make an impact in the Big Bend area! If you are interested in donating or becoming a sponsor of our events, such as the Brain Bee or Brain Fair, please contact Sean Ogden. Additional updates on our fundraising efforts will be posted throughout the year.
- Congress of Graduate Students (COGS)
- Neuroscience Undergraduate Student Association (NUSA)
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI)